Monday, June 2, 2014

Airline Inefficiency (phlog)

So I'm reading Atlas Shrugged, which is interesting and appeals to me. Not completely, but maybe 80%. One of the underlying themes is how pride in ones work drives efficiency, something I totally can relate to. Even more so because I'm on a plane and just really annoyed by how inefficiently people are boarded onto planes... it is even more annoying by how easy a problem it is to fix. Load the back of the plane first! So damn simple. No one gets blocked by people in front of them settling into their seats.

Recently (as in, within the last few years) airlines have started a phased approach to loading, which would work if they loaded the back zones first! The fact that they decided to start phase loading but not back to front drives me mental. Am I missing something here? I would bet that this "one simple trick" would cut loading times in half. That could equal an extra departure or two a day at busy gates. I don't know if demand is that high for airport gates, but a smart person must be able to monetize efficiency.

Then again, if airlines were run by efficient people, they would make money. 

end rant. end phlog.

P.S. (non-phlogged) - Interesting article I found later on this very issue, although I think this solution might be too complicated so not followed. That being said, the article claims back to front to be the least efficient method with block boarding, although I haven't see block boarding being done front to back myself... at least, whenever I have a back seat ticket it seams the entire flight has already been loaded. Maybe it's the same problem of people not following the load order. Anyway, good to follow up, and I might have to admit (later) that I was wrong ;P

No comments: